Monday, August 11, 2008


If I had to identify one of the most amazing things about my life, it would have to be the friends I've collected. I know, most people have good friends, but I consider myself especially blessed. I think I have more than my share of stellar people.

Today I am thinking a lot about a special friend who has blessed my life for only a handful of years. But in my world, he's big... he's Big Red.



Big Red Spicer is one of those larger than life characters. I've always described him as the "consummate southern gentleman." He's kind, sweet, handsome, and just a bit pig headed. When you have to fight the battles Big Red is fighting, being pig headed definitely helps you get by.

I first met Big Red when my friend Antje talked me into going to the Palo Duro Canyon 50 Mile and 50 K race. Red is the race director. The race is run in Palo Duro Canyon where virtually every trail is named after Red in some way.

Red welcomed me into his home on the weekend of the race. He woke me at 4:00 a.m. on his way to the race with a kiss. I hadn't even actually met him yet. But over the years I have grown to know that that loving nature is who Red is.

Red and I became fast friends. I have gone to the race every year since. I have also made countless visits to spend time with him and have taken several road trips with him as well.

Today Red is not well. He is trying very hard to recover from a nasty illness in an Amarillo hospital. For all the love I have for him, there is not much I can do save sending loving thoughts and prayers.

I love you Red. Heal quickly!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It takes a wild, wonderful woman to appreciate the same in a man...