Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Real Thing - no, it's not Coke

Sunday June 1
Where the hell did spring go? Sheesh!
I kicked off the month of June with a splash. Well, actually, 15 minutes of splashing. I was in the second heat (second slowest) for the swim at the Longmont Triathlon this morning. The swim was harder than I thought. I'm not sure if I was nervous, tense, trying to hurry, or all of the above. But I was so out of breath in the swim and never really caught my breath the whole race. I swam 50 freestyle then 1 breast stroke to get through it. Climbing out of the pool I felt great if a little winded.

I got into the transition where my bike was placed in the second row (out of traffic) of the transition and only 2 rows from the bike exit. I ate a cookie; put on shoes, helmet, sunglasses, shirt, and number; hopped on my bike and headed toward the exit. I had to get back off my bike to walk across the chip pad at the exit... drat! forgot about that.

The ride went well. I rode better than I thought I would for the 3 loops. I would guess my time on the bike was about 42-45 minutes but I'm not sure. The ride started with a small uphill, then a loooong gradual downhill for two sides of the square. Then a gradual uphill followed by a steeper short uphill back around.

Back into the transition, I swapped bike shoes for runners and ditched the helmet. I ate another 1/2 cookie and downed 1/2 a bottle of water. I headed out for a 5 k. The run started out the same as the bike. Then I hit that long downhill. About 1/2 way through it I realized that a long downhill probably meant a long uphill. But it was a gradual hill so maybe I wouldn't notice. I barely did. In fact, the course didn't really seem to go back up hill but I know it did. I passed several people on the run but there was no telling what heat they were in. One was a really buff guy who looks like the tri type... I was pleased with that one. I finished in about 1 1/2 hrs. Not too sure of the time but I'll take it!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

1 1/2 hours seems damn impressive to me! Congratulations!