Friday, March 7, 2008

Making it stick

Today I made a contract with myself on www.stickk.com. It’s a contract to work out and train for the next 34 weeks. If I don’t do it, $5 goes to a charity each week. I have a referree and supporters. Sounds like a plan.

I had swimming on my schedule for today, my day off. It was a beautiful day so I was contemplating riding my bike the 6.5 miles to the gym. After making the contract, it sealed the deal. I dug out my bike and appropriate gear. I spent a frustrating half hour not finding my daypack so I borrowed Guy’s. I packed my swimming gear, locks, and the stuff for the post office into the pack.

I set off from our house headed just a bit south to catch the Spring Creek bike trail. This is a fantastic trail that angles across town toward my office. The sun was shining and there was a moderate breeze. Perfect for shorts and a windbreaker.

The trail angles northeast and my gym is southeast. I went a few miles enjoying the trail and was supposed to turn on a southbound trail called the Mason trail. Unfortunately it wasn’t marked as such so I doubled back… twice. I finally found my way to the Mason trail and went south looking for a cross street that would take me past the post office. By the time I hit a cross street, I was well south of the post office. So I headed due east to the gym after about a 50 minute ride… obviously more than 6.5 miles by this route.

The gym is brand-spankin’ new. In fact, they are having their grand opening beginning at midnight tonight (24 h fitness). They put in a 25 m pool that is only 2 lanes wide. No worries though, no one else was there. I had the pool to myself. And, I managed to have a great 50 minute swim. I even swam 150 meters without stopping for the first time. I swam 5 x 50 on the minute. My arms and shoulders are smoked!

Now starving, I got back on the bike to ride home. I took a more direct route with a quick stop at the post office to buy stamps and one at the tiny Asian grocery for thai basil which they didn’t have. The did have seafood shumai so I grabbed a package to steam for lunch. Riding time was 45 minutes. I squeezed in ten minutes of stretching for good measure before cleaning the house and taking a shower.

So for day one, I have fulfilled two of my week’s workouts and gotten 10 points toward the Butt Bustin Challenge. Time for Starvin’ Marvin to go eat again!

No comments: