Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Subdivision Hell

I bought my house in Colorado Springs before I really had a chance to live in and drive around the city. When I got to Colorado, I never drove around looking for a place to live. I imagine I’d have found it just as “icky” there as I’m finding the housing situation here.

Fort Collins, it seems, is region after region of privacy fenced subdivisions with cookie cutter houses that are cheaply made. Sure, some are nice and have a nice back yard and deck… but ick! Where is the character. I can have a house with character in the Old Town area but can’t have a garage there.

What I really want is a house up against the hills. But those are the same kind of neighborhoods, only bigger houses and bigger price tags. Most of them go for 400,000 on up. Yikes!!

Tucked in between the subdivisions are tiny little horse ranches. You can almost see the vultures on the telephone wires waiting for the land to go on sale. I can’t imagine what one of those little spots would cost. But again, not very close to the hills.

Send good house hunting ju ju!!

No comments: