Thursday, December 4, 2008

Winter Wondering Land

I remember the first snow
a few years ago
looking back
down the hill
in morning twilight
to see my footprints
paralled by Harley’s tracks

This morning
I went back to bed
rather than run alone
or dig out for the slick drive to the pool.
No cold nose
pushed me from my excuses

I dreamt last night
of another running friend
Some days, I’m amazed
how much he is on my mind
You don’t really know
what a difference the presence of another makes
until they are no longer present

Snow
will keep all but the sickest away
And I will get to sneak out early
to put on the running shoes
that are on ice in my car
Cold numbs me
to how bad they are itching
for a run

My missing friends
will join me in spirit
and I wonder
if I look sideways over my shoulder
how many sets of prints
I will see

LB 12/4/08
With loving memories of Red Spicer and Harley Bean

No comments: