Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Comeback

I haven't written poetry in a long time
But then,
I am inspired to write by long runs
And I haven't run long in a long time

There is something about learning to swim
That doesn't inspire words
The not-so-easy focus on getting air out
And getting air in
Without taking on water
Timing breathing and arms and legs
Instead of that easy flow of motion over the ground
And holding my breath only because of the scenery

I no longer sink in the pool
But I have never sunk below the surface
Of a dirt trail with a mountain view

And then there is the bike
This contraption that requires special clothes
Special shoes
Air in the tires
And a helmet
It requires steadiness as fast cars whiz by
Or shocks for the rocks on trail

My own shocks wore out
I took a year off to replace them
Toiling in the gym and PT office
Riding the rails of a Pilates reformer
Like some hobo stowing away on a quest for healing

My life is beyond chaotic
My training like that of a madwoman
I feel my body growing into this new state
Cross trained
Not sport-specific-fit
But overall strong and lean

And yet tonight
I observe my legs while talking to India
The developing muscles
rolling hills on my quads
The race course on the left is much more complex
Than the one on the right
Atrophy grows more obvious as I fight to defeat it

I no longer chafe from the heat of a summer run
But under the slowness of the comeback
I call another PT
I google Pilates studios
I swim
I bike
I run… but not so much

Lisa B
6/30/08

No comments: