Thursday, November 13, 2008

Snippets and Fragments

Declining Dollars

I just bought a used book for $3.20 that cost $1.50 in 1975. The original price is clearly marked on the cover. The clerk at The Matter Bookstore said "that must have been when the dollar was worth a lot more." He wasn't even born in 1975.

I've bought several copies of this book as gifts. All of them cost about $6 at major bookstores. This one is a gift for Bethany. It will be worth every penny.

*********** ************ ************

Chasing the chill with new friends

Nights grow long and deep
Cold rattles in the branches
not yet muffled by snow
balanced by the warmth of tiny white lights
Clouds bloom on the rooftop across the street
and the wind
chases the stubborn leaves from the branches
to gather at the door, begging to be let in
I would run away
but for this bag on my shoulder
hanging heavy with work
and projects collecting in the corners

I met a new friend on trail last night
tomorrow, she and I will pour over tea leaves
or perhaps just drink coffee
Her Eastern and my Western
meeting in this town
new for both of us
to collaborate for good and for fun

********** *********** ***********

The coming of winter feels like gaining weight
Layers of clothing, tight with warmth
Laziness and inertia gathering in piles around my feet

********** ********** **********

I miss my old friends.
Names scattered on the calendar to remind me to celebrate them
even those who are gone or going

I would sit in this cafe across from tall, beautiful Alice and lose this day in her laughter. She is at once calm and adventurous.

To hear Red's voice say "Heeeeey Baaaabeeee"

I wonder where Chris is. How big are Leah and Holly now?

I heard from Jeffy last night. I miss his appetite for life. To taste it all without gluttony.

Ms. Lisa's gentleness and creativity. A dose of her inspiration would do me good right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't need the calendar to know that I'm am so glad you were born, every single day...but November is a particularly good time to remind me of your love! When the weather turns us inside for art and thinking, Cheryl or Dave or JT on the stereo, and inspiration sneaks in to surprise us...as giddy as your smile!