Sunday, January 25, 2009

January evening - what winter is all about

Ahhhhh. This is what winter is all about. I just got out of a very hot shower. The temp in the house is finally above 60 degrees. And I am snuggled up in my Big Red bathrobe. No, it's not red, though it is slightly big. It's a robe that my dear friend Big Red had made for me with my name embroidered on it. Big Red was one of the loves of my life. If only he'd been 30 years younger! Even in his 70s he was sexy in a gentlemanly way. So kind, so sweet. He was a good friend and a travel buddy. He would warm this robe while I showered and leave in on a hook for me as I got out. I miss him, terribly.

I'm just in from a ski weekend. It was a weekend with the Bettys. Keystone Resort in Summit County, CO does a fabulous weekend of women skiers and women coaches. There's nothing like it. I feel sorry for the guys because they can't even really understand... Bettyfest... it's a woman thing! I met the coolest bunch of women. I've done this 5 times and I've met a huge bunch of really neat women who ski way beyond what you can imagine. They love snow. They love hills. They love bumps and trees and steeps. They want to get better and better. And they do!

This time I had a really neat coach, Joey. I've skied with Joey a time or two but never had her as a coach. She focuses on the positive but still gives you something to work on. I got a lot of new things out of this clinic. Whenever we go to the Bettyfest, all the "go for it ATV" women want to ski with Annie. That's because Annie really goes for it and teaches a lot of good stuff. She's a fabulous coach. Sometimes it's good to hear a different perspective. Another way of saying basically the same thing. That's what Joey did this time and some things really clicked. Guy was jealous that I got to ski with Joey, now I know why.

I met some really cool women to ski with too. I love skiing with the guys but sometimes they degrade into being "guys" and have to out-testosterone each other. It hurts when you try to do that... I don't like pain. When you ski with women, you push each other but a little bit more gently. It's not about drawing blood, it's about having fun, learning something new, and building a friendship. It's about having an experience you can build on next time. Remembering what that really cool set of turns felt like.

I do a lot of sports. Running, biking, skiing, swimming. I have a set of friends for each. And a lot of them cross the boundaries. There is nothing like those friendships.

So, after a good ski weekend and a hot shower, I sit on the sofa and share the beauty of the experience with anyone who wants to read this blog. And later, I'll snuggle down in my warmed bed (electric blanket to get it warm before I even get in) with the most wonderful man in the world... sorry ladies, I'm keeping him... he's the best ever. And I'll dream about next weekend.... on the slopes... in the snow... with great friends.

This is what winter is all about.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

almost makes me want to ski! Almost...