Saturday, January 31, 2009

Remembering

Some nights are for remembering

Stumbling across old poetry
I watch Harley age in print
And though his body has faded
I can feel the softness of the hair on his neck
Against my cheek
And the familiar ache
Of missing his warm unconditional love

Remembering
What it felt like to run well
And what it felt like
The last time I relearned
And worked so hard to get in shape

Despite the cold winter
My body remembers the heat of sun
Warming Red soil and my bones
Amidst the swirling Spanish Skirts
And the sound of Red’s voice
Spreading warm joy across my face

I am remembering friends from long ago
Friends found again
And friends long lost
There is bitter sweetness
In the passing of time

Tomorrow when I wake
I will forget this bit of nostalgia
And buckle myself into a new day
On the snow with new friends
Until I stumble across old poetry
And spend another night remembering.

1/30/09
LB

No comments: