Thursday, January 1, 2009

Trashing 2008

It was a fitting way for 2008 to end... a trashy ending.

Actually, 2008 had some really great things. Because of 2008, I live in Fort Collins with the love of my life. I have a job with a practice that is solvent. I have a fun little house that is very nearly liveable... and I finally have a bedroom.

But 2008 saw some struggles to get where we are today. We lost several dear friends. Our finances took a beating, just like everyone else.

Last night our friends Marty and Laura hosted a "White Trash New Years." We closed the office early for the Eve and I headed to Goodwill for a shopping spree. I had invited Alexis who was doing a similar shopping trip in the Springs with her sister.

We were scheduled to bring a dessert and Paula suggested we bring a "Better Than Sex" cake. Apparently a lot of people get pretty lousy sex because there are dozens of recipes by this name. I chose a cake with a Devil's Food Base. While it's hot, you drown it in condensed milk, caramel sauce, and crushed Heath Bars. Then it cools and gets topped with cool whip. I added maraschino cherries just because I think they are trashy.

We arrived at the party having a knock down, drag out fight. Guy was shouting about what a terrible woman I am because I was screaming at him for sleeping with my "sister" (played by Alexis). It was quite an entrance and played well to the black eye we had made with eye shadow. The party deteriorated from there into chatting with friends and a killer game of "Beer Pong" in the garage. Even the lawn ornaments had a good time.

And now it's on to 2009. We'll be moving into the bedroom today and I'm thrilled at the prospect. I expect a nap will be in my near future.

1 comment:

brownie said...

Isn't that how Mr. Mustard usually dresses anyways?